[ltp] X200 Battery Life

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:08:58 -0200

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, John Li wrote:
> I don't know if USB is such a big deal still, if you enable the
> autosuspend. Still, if you don't /constantly/ need the drive plugged
> in, a script for loading/unloading USB modules is pretty short.

UHCI-hcd is ALWAYS a big deal.  EHCI is not, so if everything you need to
use is USB2.0, just disable USB1.1 support removing UHCI-hcd.

Autosuspend is good, yes.  So would be USB port power control (to turn off
power to devices you don't need).

Also use the thinkpad rfkill stuff (get it from ibm-acpi.sf.net if you need
a newer version of the driver) to cut power to the bluetooth dongle, UWB and
WWAN when you don't need them.

> I believe Firefox has gotten better recently, because of powertop. If
> you have wifi enabled, the driver waking up every 100ms to process the
> AP beacons outweighs Firefox by quite a bit, at least on my system.

You can, if you don't need high throughput, place the WiFi into one of the
managed power modes.  Powertop should help you with that if it is an Intel
card.

  Henrique Holschuh