[ltp] X200 Battery Life

John Li linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 20:18:34 -0400

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:11:27AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, John Li wrote:
> > Compared to Vista, Linux still trails behind by ~3 watts at idle.
>
> Eject the bay.  I mean it.  Does that fix things?

I've never used a dock before, but I'm pretty sure I don't have any
modules loaded for the bay.

> Also, make sure all video outputs you are not using are turned off.

Yup, they are.

I believe one setting in the Lenovo Power Manager program with no
Linux equivalent is PCI powersaving. I saw a patch on the lkml for
PCIe powersaving[1] (written by someone at Intel), but it doesn't seem
like it ever got into Linus's repo[2].

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/1/17/544
[2] http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/20/34

The author said it saved him ~1.3 watts, on a system with 3 PCIe
links. That'd at least close the gap to ~1.7 watts!

jli