[ltp] X200 brightness keys behavior weirdness - down is up, up is down (sometimes)

John Li linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 20:26:07 -0400

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:18:33AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, John Li wrote:
> > [    6.917378] thinkpad_acpi: This ThinkPad has standard ACPI backlight brightness control, supported by the ACPI video driver
> > [    6.917449] thinkpad_acpi: Disabling thinkpad-acpi brightness events by default...
> > [    6.925138] thinkpad_acpi: Lenovo BIOS switched to ACPI backlight control mode
> > [    6.925138] thinkpad_acpi: standard ACPI backlight interface available, not loading native one...
>
> It is doing the right thing.  You now need a very new X.org, a very new
> kernel (for a very new ACPI video, and various EC interrupt fixes)...

How new? I tend stick with the Debian kernels because I've had bad
luck with compiling my own kernels (I unknowingly disable required
options or modules and not being able to boot X, or something).
Though, since they're trying to release Lenny, I think 2.6.26 will be
the latest in testing for at least a few more weeks.

And I've never tried building X.org before.

> > [ 2646.277103] Switched to high resolution mode on CPU 1
> > --> [ 2647.084977] thinkpad_acpi: unhandled HKEY event 0x6030 <--
>
> Well, 0x6xxx is for thermal alarms, although the fact that it ends with a 0
> might mean this is something else and I will have to ask my sources.
>
> Still, check your thinkpad temperatures NOW.  If there is a BIOS update
> available, apply it.

I think they're okay. Though, the fan revs up much more often than
under Vista, and it doesn't seem to slow down again, but that's
another issue :).

> I would also highly appreciate if you send me by private mail the dmidecode
> (remove UUID and serial numbers) output, and also the output of acpidump.

Okay, will send shortly.

> > just work. Based on the dmesg output above, I assume they're handled
> > by the standard ACPI backlight interface, and not thinkpad_acpi.
>
> Correct.  And ACPI should just be telling the X.org driver what to do, but
> X.org had a LOT of HIDEOUS bugs on that area (and ACPI video took some time
> to be cleaned up as well, and had its bad share of bugs).

Good to know it's getting better :).

jli