[ltp] Fan error on T60p

Theodore Tso linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 1 Sep 2008 16:36:07 -0400

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 10:09:55PM +0200, Michael Gaber wrote:

> i don't know if it's related, but my t60 sometimes "forgets" the fan.
> usually blowing into the left side of the outlet helps so the bios has
> no problem with it, perhaps this works at your one, too

Giving "mouth to mouth" to the T60 seems to work in a pinch when the
fan fails to spin up to speed during the BIOS self-test, but it is NOT
recommended for long-term usage, as the fan often will stop while the
OS is running and then you'll be left without cooling.  I've used it
once or twice as a stop-gap measure to get critical data off my
Thinkpad, but this is your cue that it is time to order a new fan/CPU
heatsink module for your laptop.

						- Ted