[ltp] Psion Gold modem card won't work any more

Christos Papadopoulos linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:23:53 -0600

Same happened to me this summer.
I think modem support for PCMCIA cards is gone from newer
versions of Linux. If you want it you have to compile it in.

Try this link for software that might make your internal
modem operational.
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/downloads-installer.php

The free version of the driver will limit you at 14.4K, good enough to
make sure it works. For $20, you can unlock the full version, including
fax capabilities.  It's more than the $7 you paid already, but you
don't have to carry an extra card around :-)

The other downside is that the driver is kernel specific, so you have
to reinstall when your kernel changes (easy, just rerun the installer).
They seem pretty good at making updated drivers available quickly.

Modems are rapidly becoming history..

Christos.