[ltp] T20 with Debian 2.6.24: Won't return from suspend

Frank Huddleston linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:50:43 -0500

--------------030901000503010008000809

Greetings,

   I have an elderly T20, currently running Debian "testing" with a
2.6.24-1-686 kernel. Each new kernel revision seems to be a roll of the
dice as to what will work and what will not: wireless, alsa, and suspend
are always chancey. Right now I'm writing about suspend: some time ago I
thought maybe this machine had the dreaded "Blink Of Death" (BOD)
syndrome, then I updated the BIOS and it seemed more normal. But not
really normal: instead of not returning from "sleep" every time, it
would sometimes return, sometimes not. I upgraded to kernel 2.6.25, with
(I think) the same behavior, but have had to back off to 2.6.24 because
getting alsa to work will be involved, but that's another story.
Currently, the machine regularly (I think) does not return from s2ram
(suspend-to-ram) sleep, but returns from s2disk (suspend-to-disk) for a
while, then stops returning, or works occasionally.  To get the machine
back, I have to unplug the power cord (I leave the battery in) for maybe
a few hours. Then I plug it in and restart. The buttons on the keyboard
for suspend and resume (F4 and F12) have not worked since some earlier
kernel version . Sorry I do not remember now whether it restarted from
suspend or fresh when it did not return from a suspend to disk. I
realize a lot of this is rather fuzzy, but really, it's not as though
there's anything very consistent.
And many of these symptoms occur over such a long time that I forget the
details. For a while there, with an earlier kernel (and ACPI?) version,
it seemed that
s2ram worked as long as I didn't leave it suspended "too long", like
overnght. But now, I don't think s2ram works at all; the system doesn't
come back and has to be unplugged and restarted.
Does this sound like the BOD problem after all? What can someone
suggest? Feel free to ask me questions.
... by the way, I just did s2disk and immediate awaken (via the power
button), and it came back fine. So this is a "semi-" intermittent problem.

Thanks...
Frank Huddleston

--------------030901000503010008000809

<head>
</head>
br>
=C2=A0=C2=A0 I have an elderly T20, currently running Debian "testing" wi=
th a
2.6.24-1-686 kernel. Each new kernel revision seems to be a roll of the
dice as to what will work and what will not: wireless, alsa, and
suspend are always chancey. Right now I'm writing about suspend: some
time ago I thought maybe this machine had the dreaded "Blink Of Death"
(BOD) syndrome, then I updated the BIOS and it seemed more normal. But
not really normal: instead of not returning from "sleep" every time, it
would sometimes return, sometimes not. I upgraded to kernel 2.6.25,
with (I think) the same behavior, but have had to back off to 2.6.24
because getting alsa to work will be involved, but that's another
story. Currently, the machine regularly (I think) does not return from
s2ram (suspend-to-ram) sleep, but returns from s2disk (suspend-to-disk)
for a while, then stops returning, or works occasionally.=C2=A0 To get th=
machine back, I have to unplug the power cord (I leave the battery in)
for maybe a few hours. Then I plug it in and restart. The buttons on

 face=3D"Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif">(F4 and F12) </font></font><font
 size=3D"-1"><font face=3D"Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif">have not worked =
 size=3D"-1"><font face=3D"Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif">since some earli=
er
kernel version . Sorry I do not remember now whether it restarted from
suspend or fresh when it did not return from a suspend to disk. I
realize a lot of this is rather fuzzy, but really, it's not as though
there's anything very consistent.<br>
And many of these symptoms occur over such a long time that I forget
the details. For a while there, with an earlier kernel (and ACPI?)
version, it seemed that <br>
s2ram worked as long as I didn't leave it suspended "too long", like
overnght. But now, I don't think s2ram works at all; the system doesn't
come back and has to be unplugged and restarted.<br>
Does this sound like the BOD problem after all? What can someone
suggest? Feel free to ask me questions.<br>
=2E.. by the way, I just did s2disk and immediate awaken (via the power
button), and it came back fine. So this is a "semi-" intermittent
problem.<br>
Thanks...<br>
Frank Huddleston<br>

--------------030901000503010008000809--