[ltp] T61 locking up

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Sep 2008 00:03:25 -0700

I just spent half an hour writing this message to the Ubuntu forums. After I completed it I hit "send" only to be greeted by "error 303, service temporarily unavailable." The Ubuntu forums are down, and all my writing efforts are lost. Now I get to write it all over again. Grrrrrr.

Well, I should have written it here first, anyway.

The computer is a T61 with Hardy x86_64 completely up to date. It sits in a docking station where it is connected to mains power 99% of the time. Occasionally it takes a trip with me to the university, where it runs on AC or battery. In either event, saving battery power is not an issue.

The computer never locks up when I am using it. When I return after a period of time either the screen saver will be running or the screen will be black. In either case, moving the mouse or hitting any key will restore the screen. However, about twice a week I will return to find a black screen and the computer locked up. By "locked up" I mean the mouse and the keyboard cannot restore the screen. The only option is to reboot.

There are various options and terms and I do not understand them. Let's start with "suspend" v. "hibernate." What is the difference?

Using Ubuntu with Gnome there are various options. In System > Preferences > Screensaver I have set "Regard the computer as idle after" to one hour. The "Activate screensaver when computer is idle" box is checked. The "Lock screen when screensaver is active" is unchecked.

In System > Preferences > Power Management there are three tabs. Here is how mine are set:

On AC Power
   Put computer to sleep when inactive for: Never
   When laptop lid is closed: Do nothing
   Put display to sleep when inactive for: Never
   Dim display when idle <unchecked>
On Battery Power
   Put computer to sleep when inactive for: Never
   When laptop lid is closed: Blank screen
   When battery power is critically low: Shutdown
   Put display to sleep when inactive for: Never
   Reduce backlight brightness <unchecked>
   Dim display when idle <unchecked>
General tab
   When the power button is pressed: Ask me
   When the suspend button is pressed: Suspend
   <selected> Always display an icon
   <checked> Use sound to notify in event of an error

I don't understand why the screensaver stops and the screen goes black. According to my understanding of the above settings the screensaver should just run forever. Have I misunderstood what the settings mean?

And finally, the locking up has something to do with the screen going to black because it is never locked up if I return and the screensaver is still running. Does this suggest anything to anyone?

I've tried everything I can think of. I need suggestions.