[ltp] Re: T20 with Debian 2.6.24: Won't return from suspend

Frank Huddleston linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:53:15 -0500

Greetings,

   Thanks for the replies. I waited and got another failure to return, so=
 I can give a little more information:

> What do you mean by "it does not return"?
It does not return to operation when I press the power button. Some light=
s flash briefly, then go out, and nothing more happens. Of the six lights=
 at the left of the power button, I think it's just the disk access light=
 that flashes briefly, but nothing more. The only light on at that point =
is the battery light, over to the lower right of the screen. On a success=
ful return, all the lights stay lit, and the computer boots up.=20
I just suspended to disk yesterday, and had a failure to return, so I pul=
led the power cord. This morning it booted again, and resumed the session=
: in other words, it restored the system successfully and did not boot co=
mpletely from scratch.

- What's "userspace configuration", and where would I fix this?
lsmod shows thinkpad_acpi loaded, and it produces some output at boot tim=
e:
thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad ACPI Extras v0.17
thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad BIOS IYET61WW (1.22), EC unknown
input: /usr/sbin/thinkpad-keys as /class/input/input8

- Yes the symptoms sound like what you describe for Blink-of-Death. Only =
the battery light stays on, and goes off when I pull the power cord.

- I guess I could try APM. Seems to me that way back, I was running Fedor=
a, it used ACPI, and I was getting weird results and didn't know why, the=
n I switched to OpenSUSE, which (I think) used APM, and suspend/resume wo=
rked. But I know ACPI has worked on this machine, for a while: I tried Ub=
untu, which I think used it, and I think that worked, and I'm pretty sure=
 it worked in some previous Debian versions. But as it's so intermittent,=
 it's hard to make firm statements about it. One day it stopped returning=
 from sleep, regularly, and I began researching the problem. It sounded l=
ike BOD, but I decided to update the BIOS, why not, and that seemed to he=
lp. About all I can say now is that it appears that s2ram does not work: =
ever. In an earlier Debian version, it worked but if I left it asleep for=
 some time, like overnight or a few days, it wouldn't come back. s2disk s=
eems to work most of the time, but again, it seems that leaving it asleep=
 for a time decreases the chances that it will come back. On the other ha=
nd, when I thought I had the BOD problem, I had to leave the machine unpl=
ugged for days sometimes before it would restart. Now it seems that a few=
 hours is enough.
Sorry for giving so many details, but in a case like this, I just don't k=
now what might be a valuable clue.
To enable APM, I just put "apm=3Don" after the kernel line in /boot/grub/=
menu.lst, right?

- I'm not familiar with SMAPI, but I'll try to look it up and give it a t=
ry.

Thanks,

Frank Huddleston