[ltp] Swapping out thinkpad hard drives

Donald B Altman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Sep 2008 14:57:43 -0400

Hello,

I've had no problem swapping the HD numerous times on my T42P.  What I
did was to slightly loosen the screws holding the plastic end plate
(perhaps 1/4 turn).  That way the end plate wobbles a bit and there's no
alignment problem with the drive's pins.  The wobbling makes no
difference once the drive is fully inserted.

Having the screws and end plate intact allows one a more durable way to
pull out the drive.  Adhesive from most tapes creeps or deteriorates
with time.

Good luck.

Don A

Mendel Cooper wrote:
<SNIP>
> But, there's a sort of fix for this. Use just the caddy, without the
> plastic
> end plate. You need to attach to the caddy a sort of pull-tab -- a strip of
> cello tape or even fabric ribbon -- in order to be able to pull out the
> hard
> drive assembly again. This way the drive goes *straight* in, with much
> lower
> probability of bent pins. You can still use the lock screw to keep the
> drive securely in, even without the plastic cover.
<SNIP>

--

Donald B. Altman
Singular Technologies