[ltp] Re: problem with tpb on Debian Lenny...

Chris Burkhardt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Sep 2008 08:33:26 -0600

Frédéric BOITEUX wrote:
> Le jeu 18 sep 2008 10:56:29 CEST, Frédéric BOITEUX
> <fboiteux@calistel.com> a écrit :

>> I used "tpb" program to have a OSD of brightness, sound levels. Now in
> Lenny, the tpb daemon isn't here when my X session starts (I don't know
> if it isn't run or if it dies prematuraly).
>
> With some traces, I've noticed that tpb is well launched, but seems to
> be killed by gnome-session ! I remember I've seen some on-screen
> feedback of sound level change by the Gnome environment, but I don't
> get either in Lenny at now : do anybody have some ? how can it be
> activated ?

As of Kernel 2.6.22, the thinkpad_acpi driver (formerly known as ibm_acpi) is
included in mainline, and it exposes the volume and other buttons as ACPI
events, so you don't need tpb.

On my X60 Tablet, I do not have tpb installed, and gnome-settings-daemon (or one
of those gnome packages) sees the ACPI events from thinkpad_acpi and shows the
on screen display for brightness and sound. It messes up the sound on my X60
because it has a hardware mixer which is adjusted by the BIOS, and gnome also
changes the software mixer volume, but that's another topic...

You can also use acpid (install the acpi-support package) to script handlers for
other thinkpad-specific events (like the ThinkVantage button).

I hope that helps,
- Chris Burkhardt