[ltp] Harddrive Clicking

Philipp Kern linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:13:20 +0200

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 10:07:53AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> It is the hard-disc flying-heads auto-park ("unload").  Of course it only
> happens in idle mode, it is supposed to let the disc shut down the power =
> the head assembly linear motor, AND to secure the heads against shock.
> It is a DISC function.  It is in the ATA standards.
> The whole deal is that some drives are too aggresive about it *given the
> parameters the ThinkPad BIOS sends to them*.
> If something tells the disc to save power (hdparm APM) too aggressively, =
it
> does just that.  Even if it will shorten its lifespan.

And not only ThinkPad BIOSes are affected.  My Toshiba drive (OEM,
replaced already two times) in my old iBook does just the same, albeit
under Linux only.  It killed two drives in very short timeframes and the
aggressive parameters get restored after every sleep, so I need to make
sure that I deactivate the power management again in order to save my
drives...

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern
--=20
 .''`.  Philipp Kern                        Debian Developer
: :' :  http://philkern.de                         Release Assistant
`. `'   xmpp:phil@0x539.de                         Stable Release Manager
  `-    finger pkern/key@db.debian.org

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9