[ltp] T61 locking up

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:52:33 -0700

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:08:33 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> dijo:

> Never mind. I found it and flashed the BIOS. Dmidecode now tells me I have 7LETC1WW (2.21).

Sadly, it did not solve the problem.

Closing the lid still does not send it into suspend mode. But I can
still send it into suspend mode by clicking on the Gnome panel shutdown
icon and selecting "suspend." However, having done so, I cannot get it
back from suspend. No keypresses or combinations do anything. The
bluetooth icon flickers when the mouse is moved, but it does not bring
it back from suspend. Some of the Fn keys work - I can turn the camera
on and off, and I can turn radio on and off. Probably some of the
others work as well, but they do things to the screen (e.g., brightness
control), and I have no screen, so I have no feedback whether they
actually work. I think the Fn keys work directly on the BIOS, so that
would explain why they work when no other keypresses have any effect.

But I still think my "lockup" problem is related to suspend because the
symptoms are just about identical.

The "lockups" never happen when the screensaver is running; only when
the screensaver has stopped and it has gone to a black screen. And even
then it still resumes 90% of the time just by moving the mouse or
hitting a key. It's that one time out of ten when I am "locked up." And
that is the maddening part. It is so hard to troubleshoot this because
I can make some change hoping it will solve the problem, but I have to
wait days to see if it worked.

Well, at least I now have the latest BIOS. Next suggestion?