[ltp] Harddrive Clicking

Mon, 22 Sep 2008 19:48:02 -0300

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Sebastian Geiger wrote:
> So the Thinkpad Bios is sending the drive commands to make it save power
> which actually results in the fact that it clicks. So the solution lies
> within the BIOS? Should I request a Bios update from Lenovo then?

No, believe it or not, it IS working as intended.  It probably causes less
returns of drives and less data loss during the warranty period.

If you don't like it working that way (I don't), override the BIOS.  Issue
an hdparm -B command after wakeup, boot, and AC connect/disconnect events.

That is enough on a T43.  If it is still getting enabled on your ThinkPad,
try to find out which event causes it, and hdparm -B after the event.

  Henrique Holschuh