[ltp] memtest86+ errors on T60

Jan Kundrát linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Sep 2008 02:49:11 +0200

--------------enig750A83588767387071B05A4C

Hi list,
earlier today I decided to run memtest on my two years old T60=20
(2007-FRG). It came with one 1GB DIMM and I've extended it with a 2GB=20
one from Kingston about a year ago. I'm pretty sure that I ran memtest=20
on both the new laptop and after adding the memory upgrade, and that I=20
got no errors.

However, today's run of memtest reports lots of interesting errors,=20
including stuff like "should read all zeros, but I got this garbage data =

instead". According to memtest86+, all errors occur exclusively between=20
offsets 0x0 and 0x01eac0 (that's about 0.8 MB). Everything stays the=20
same even when I remove any of the two modules, swap them or put one=20
into the other slot.

I guess that my system board is dying and that I have no other option=20
than bringing the thing to the nearest service center. Considering that=20
it won't be really cool to not have the laptop available in next two or=20
three weeks, I wonder if there's any chance that it's just memtest's=20
fault, after all. I realize that it's probably just a false hope, but=20
well, the repair would take some time and that would suck.

Cheers,
-jkt

--=20
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth