[ltp] intel driver problems in 2.6.27

Thu, 25 Sep 2008 16:35:05 -0300

Hi Yves-Alexis!

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 09:39:11PM +0400, Nikolay Panov wrote:
> > I have similar issue on 2.6.26 and reboot to 2.6.25 does not helps.
> > The issue resolve itself after about a hour of power-off.
>
> Hmhm, that's bad, I thought 2.6.26 wasn't affected. Could you paste
> relevant logs? And could you try the ethtool stuff to see if restoring
> it from the backup could fix the problem? (I assume that restoring the
> eeprom is safe, but I never did this so I can't say :/ )

No, ethtool CANNOT restore the eeprom, and no, it is NOT safe unless you
know exactly what you're doing, which is why the utility to do it is not out
there yet:  it bricked the laptop of the guy who was writing it(!).

OTOH, if you don't take a backup now while it is still working and
undamaged, you might not have one to use later when the utility to restore
the EEPROM gets released...

  Henrique Holschuh