[ltp] Power cord set to fail

Gary Woodman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 26 Sep 2008 22:00:11 +1000

I have an R61i. Nice unit. I bought it in January when my T40 was on its
last legs with the dreaded Dying Fan and the dreaded GPU Disattach.

Slightly off-topic! But I do run Linux (Mint 5 for those who care).

I use the R61 in many locations, including on my lap. Now I see that,
presumably due to excess flexing, the power cord is breaking at the
weakest point. It's worked through all but the last layer of insulation,
and must fail soon.

That would be very annoying (and expensive), so I'm thinking of a way so
seal and strengthen the power cord. I've had these ideas so far:
. wrap with sticky tape (yuk)
. fit heatshrink tubing (expensive)
. paint with epoxy glue (hmmm)

I can't be the only person to have this problem. Grateful for any
suggestions!

Gary