[ltp] Re: Linux kernel instability? (Rant/Panic/Cry-for-help!)

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Sep 2008 01:39:10 -0400

> 1. Binary Blobs are bad, and taint the kernel
> Yes, on my desktop, I do use the nvidia driver, as there is no other way to
> get dual-head working. However, on the majority of the systems I run, I use

Last I looked, the `nouveau' driver supports RandR-1.2 just fine.
It's not considered "stable", but it worked flawlessly when I tried it
(admittedly, just a couple days, after which I got annoyed at the fact
that it's not nicely packaged, so I had to constantly re-compile the
kernel module).

> My T60 thinkpad uses Vesa rather than fglrx. We aren't using WiFi

Have you found it more reliable than the "radeonhd"?

> As far as I can tell, most of the bugs I've recently hit seem to be related
> to core parts of the kernel, eg SMP, NFS4, UnionFS, networking rather than
> to the fancy stuff (suspend, 3d, wifi).

My department's experience is that NFS4 with Kerberos is still
seriously buggy.

        Stefan