[ltp] Linux kernel instability? (Rant/Panic/Cry-for-help!)

Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:26:31 -0300

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Shem Multinymous wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 3:51 AM, Sebastian Geiger <sbastig@gmx.net> wrote:
> > I have
> > currently two kernels installed, the 2.6.25-1 and the 2.6.26 (both are
> > tuxonice-sources on gentoo) if i boot the later one, suspend ceases working.
>
> What exactly do you see when it fails?
>
> This may be related to a problem I have:
>
> Somewhere between circa 2.6.25.3 (plus then-current
> thinkpad-acpi+TuxOnIce+linux_phc) and 2.6.25.13 (plus similar),
> suspend-to-RAM stopped working reliably on my T43. Specifically, about
> 1 time out of 4, resume from RAM hangs at a very early stage (the HDD
> LED never turns up and nothing shows on screen except the textmode
> cursor). I *think* it happens only when X was running at suspend time.
> Hibernation worked fine the couple of times I used it.

I *think* around that time, there was a fix for S3 resume behaviour, and I
*think* that made one of the previous ugly hacks from hell we used on the
T43 a hindrance instead of a help.

That might well have been on 2.6.25.y, I will check my T43 when I am back at
home and reply.  I never labelled it instability in my mind, because all it
caused me was a slowdown that I quick fixed at the time.

Thanks for reminding me about this whole deal.  As I said, I will get back
to you when I find out more of what I did that never make it a big deal for
me.  *DO* note that I do NOT use Tux-on-Ice or PHC.

  Henrique Holschuh