[ltp] What and where is "smapi"?

Timothy Murphy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:06:35 +0100

On Tuesday 30 September 2008 02:56:16 pm Fr=E9d=E9ric BOITEUX wrote:

> > Pardon my ignorance, but I saw mention on the list
> > of a directory /sys/.../smapi/ .
> > I don't have any such directory on my Fedora-9 laptop.
> > Is there an rpm that would bring it to me?
>
> It's exported by a kernel module, tp-smapi :=A0see there :
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi

Thanks very much.

I followed the instructions there with my T43,
installing kernel-devel and kernel-headers
and downloading (and de-tarring in /usr/local) tp_smapi-0.39.tgz .
Then I ran "make install" and re-booted.

I ran "modprobe tp_smapi" to get the module loaded,
but I didn't see the files with battery details=20
mentioned in an earlier posting.

Have I omitted some obvious step?
(I assume I don't have to re-compile the kernel?
I don't in fact have the kernel sources installed.
Are these needed?)

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

=2D-=20
Timothy Murphy =20
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366