[ltp] Fan running constantly

Philipp Kern linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 28 Sep 2008 22:43:18 +0200

Hi there,

my Thinkpad fan got recently replaced and was very quiet afterwards.  In the
meantime I upgraded kernels (but I'm not able to pinpoint it to that) and now
the fans are humming pretty constantly.

asterix:/proc/acpi/ibm# cat thermal fan
temperatures:	40 36 26 46 34 -128 30 -128 34 45 44 -128 -128 -128 -128 -128
status:		enabled
speed:		3081
level:		auto

I remember fan speeds of 2xxx, and the thermal values do not look loud to me.
The previous fan had an unsmooth humming sound as documented on the Thinkwiki,
with the new that's gone.  Previously I also ran tp-fancontrol but as I
currently lack thinkpad_acpi (or is that tp_smapi?) debugging support with the
Debian kernel and with the fixed fan it's deactivated.  Now the speed is in
general just a tad too high for a laptop without any load...  Any ideas?

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern