[ltp] PCI card stopping POST in Dock II

Connor Behan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 03 Apr 2009 00:26:39 -0400

After breaking a DVI pin in my video card that was working nicely with
the dock I bought a similar PCI card on ebay. However if I insert this
card in the PCI slot, my thinkpad fails to boot. I can't even get to the
BIOS or see the spalsh screen. When my old card is inserted, booting up
is fine. When no card is inserted, booting up is fine.

Also weird is that this card causes no such problems in a desktop. In a
regular computer, it works like a regular video card. Has anyone
encountered this problem before? Does IBM have some list of "authorized
video cards" like they do for WLAN cards?

Or could it be because the card is not plugged in all the way?
Admittedly this card is a tighter fit than the last one. I think I
plugged it in all the way but maybe every time I try this one pin is off
by a tenth of a mm. Usually when a card isn't plugged all the way in,
it's the same as starting up the computer with no card plugged in at
all. But if all the pins contact the PCI slot except one could this
interrupt POST?

The card is a Radeon X1550 with 128bit DDR2 with "512HM" for
hyper-memory. I guess this implies it has 512MB of memory. I got it from
here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=130294312704
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=130294312704>

If no one knows why it failed, does anyone want to buy it off me? I paid
around $70USD for it. I'll let you have it for $35 but please use it
with a desktop, not a Dock II!