[ltp] Re: X60 produces fuzzy VGA output in high resolutions - will Ultrabase help?

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:53:14 -0400

>> I expect LCD monitors do not advertise modes with higher refresh rates
>> in their EDID info.

That's true.  You'll probably want/need to use a hand-cooked modeline.

> The bandwidth is limited, as you increase resolution, you have to drop the
> refresh rate to keep within the limited bandwidth.

Of course.  That's why I mentioned my 10-years old experience.  I'd hope
things haven't gotten much worse in the mean time.

> This is far worse on DVI than VGA as far as the connection goes, but the
> monitor and GPU themselves have output bandwidth limitations (maximum pixel
> clock, etc).

The GPU should be at least as fast as my old Matrox card.  AFAIK, a DVI
connection can handle 1920x1200x60Hz, so it should definitely keep up with
70Hz at 1680x1050.  As for the monitor, I wouldn't know, but would hope
it can keep up as well.

        Stefan