[ltp] UltraBay Slim removal

Simon Williams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 Apr 2009 00:31:53 +0100

wes schreiner wrote:
> Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>> In particular, is there an event that corresponds to moving the latch
>> that lets the device eject lever pop out?
>
> In every ThinkPad I've opened up there was no switch, no electrical
> connection at all, to the bay eject lever. Thus there is no way that
> anything except the user can know that the latch has been operated and
> the eject lever is out. Things may have changed in the newest ThinkPads,
> I have not opened any of them, but I would guess not. That's why the
> procedure under any operating system is: 1, you tell the system you want
> to remove the device in the bay; 2, the system prepares the device for
> removal and then turns off the LED beside the bay; then 3, you can pull
> on the lever and remove the device.

This is incorrect. I have a T23 and that knows when the eject lever is
out. In XP, pulling the lever causes it to automatically "safely remove"
the device.
In Linux, this should generate an ACPI event, but doesn't seem to on
mine without the lt-hotswap kernel module.
As an aside, having the lever out on my system causes the BIOS to
reverse the order it uses the batteries in.