[ltp] UltraBay Slim removal

Wed, 22 Apr 2009 04:45:07 +0100

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>> Does anyone know how the Ultrabay Slim physical actions are mapped into
>> events that Linux (Fedora, in my case) can respond to?
>
> Yes.  On any non-ancient thinkpad, dock and bay actions are two-step.
> On the first step, we get a notification from ACPI that the lever is
> "out".  Then we do whatever we should do, and issue the acpi eject
> command, which powers down the bay/dock.  Then the user does the
> second step (remove the device/undock).

What happens if the user is too quick for the system, and pulls it out
in one smooth motion? Does the system still crash hideously, or does it
manage to cope?

When I last tried this, even a relatively benign operation (pulling out
a currently-playing audio CD) would crash the machine. Is there a
graceful way to handle this now? What about nastier cases (eg a mounted
CD-ROM? A r/w mounted HDD with open files?)

Richard