[ltp] [RFC] thinkpad-acpi: dock and bay drivers: any users left?

Sun, 26 Apr 2009 12:35:58 -0300

The ACPI "dock" driver in Linux 2.6.27 and newer handles hotswap docks AND
bays a lot better than thinkpad-acpi does, thus I am seriously considering
getting rid of the thinkpad-acpi dock and bay drivers.

So, I'd like to know if there are still any users of the thinkpad-acpi dock
driver left (this assumes you're running a new kernel, 2.6.27+).  I also
need to know the same for the thinkpad-acpi bay driver.

If you have a hotswap-capable ThinkPad (bays and dock are supported by the
ACPI dock driver), and you still prefer to use thinkpad-acpi's dock and bay
drivers, please tell me what doesn't work for you using the ACPI dock
driver.

If you have a warmswap-capable ThinkPad (ThinkPads where you have to
suspend-to-ram before you remove devices from the bay), like the A-series,
numeric models (600, 770), and probably the very early X and T models, I
need to know if what thinkpad-acpi provides is useful (ACPI dock will NOT
support your bays).  That support is still marked experimental, it is code
that I haven't touched in years (in fact, it is in the same functional state
I got it from the previous ibm-acpi maintainer), and I have NO knowledge of
any users of it...

Also, model 570 users with docks: does ACPI dock work for you?  Does
thinkpad-acpi dock works for you?

If I don't get answers with strong reasons to keep those subdrivers around,
I am likely going to remove them from my trees in about a month or so, and
upstream in Linux 2.6.31.

I am also interested into getting ACPI dock working perfectly on thinkpads
so that's a secondary objective of these questions: what should be improved
on ACPI dock?  There is already one thing on my list: add an attribute that
gives the user an idea of WHAT dock/bay a dock.* device represents...

  Henrique Holschuh