[ltp] lenovo support for linux

Jesse Sheidlower linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:42:03 -0400

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 04:32:09PM +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Florian Manschwetus:
> >
> > [...] Furthermore the won't give any support for any thinkpad model
> > used with a different OS than those available as preinstalled.
>
> Well, the question is what he meant by "support". At least in Germany
> (where I guess you are located, too), they are legally *obliged* to do
> warranty repairs, no matter which operating system you use, unless the
> OS actually damaged the hardware physically (or perhaps by flashing a
> corrupot BIOS).

For what it's worth, I had a difficult problem with a T41 repair
along these lines, as the OP said:

> Additionally my 3 year warranty was timed out during the
> time it was in repair center, waiting for a decision from
> lenovo, he told me that he will ask someone for some
> warranty extension, maybe there is a small chance.

I had had a recurring fan problem, where the fan would stop
working, often then leading to the mobo overheating; I sent it
back four times over the three-year warranty period to have it
replaced, and each time they swore that they had fixed
it. When it broke yet again I made a big fuss that they had
proved repeatedly that they could not fix it, and I wanted the
entire machine replaced, and I said specifically that the
warranty was running out and that I did not want them to "fix"
it again, and then have it break in another month and then
have them tell me that it was out of warranty. They promised
that this wouldn't happen, but refused to replace the
machine. And of course that's exactly what happened: the fan
died after a month and they said "Too bad, it's out of
warranty."

I had to make a huge commotion, including writing an angry
letter to the CEO of IBM, before they agreed to replace the
machine for me.

The original machine was running FreeBSD, BTW, but I have
Debian on the T60 that finally arrived to replace it.

Jesse Sheidlower