[ltp] Upgrading hard drive on T61

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 5 Aug 2009 09:58:06 -0700

I have T61 that is about two and a half years old:

Original description: T7300(2GHz), 1GB RAM (upgraded to 4 GB), 160GB
5400rpm HD (ATA HITACHI HTS54161), 15.4in 1680x1050 LCD, 128MB nVIDIA
Quadro NVS 140M, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11agn, Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb
Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure chip, Fingerprint reader, 6c Li-Ion, WinXP
Pro (Win was wiped out right after opening the box and replaced with
Ubuntu x86_64).

I also have a desktop computer that I built myself. Its CPU is not much
faster and it has only 2 GB RAM, but it runs much faster than my T61.
Its video is nVidia 6150 on the motherboard. The primary difference is
that the hard drive in the desktop is 7200 RPM SATA-2. The hard disk in
the T61 is 5400 RPM and SATA-1.

I could also use a little more room on the T61 hard drive. I am
thinking about upgrading it to a 7200 RPM drive of 250 GB or so. What I
am wondering is if the SATA-1 rating on the T61 is due to the
controller being only SATA-1, or is the controller really a SATA-2
controller and the limitation is that the disk is only SATA-1. If the
controller is really a SATA-2 controller I think I would get a
significant performance improvement with a fast SATA-2 disk.

Does anyone know what kind of controller Lenovo put in my T61? Or is
there some way to find out via the command line?