[ltp] Upgrading hard drive on T61

Cherife Li linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 6 Aug 2009 01:48:13 +0800

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 at 09:58:06 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I could also use a little more room on the T61 hard drive. I am
> thinking about upgrading it to a 7200 RPM drive of 250 GB or so. What I
> am wondering is if the SATA-1 rating on the T61 is due to the
> controller being only SATA-1, or is the controller really a SATA-2
> controller and the limitation is that the disk is only SATA-1. If the
> controller is really a SATA-2 controller I think I would get a
> significant performance improvement with a fast SATA-2 disk.

ICH8M SATA Controller is SATA-2.
It's said that Lenovo limited data transfer rate to 100MB/s on south
bridge of 945 and 965 motherboards.

IMO, you won't *feel* the improvement.
>=20
> Does anyone know what kind of controller Lenovo put in my T61? Or is
> there some way to find out via the command line?

$(lspci [-v])

Generally, it's "SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM
(ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller".
--=20
Rgds,
Cherife.