[ltp] Upgrading hard drive on T61

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 5 Aug 2009 16:57:09 -0700

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 23:37:22 +0200
Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> dijo:

> Jens Rutschmann:
> > Cherife Li wrote on 05.08.2009 19:48:
> >>
> >> ICH8M SATA Controller is SATA-2.
> >> It's said that Lenovo limited data transfer rate to 100MB/s on south
> >> bridge of 945 and 965 motherboards.
> >
> > Can anyone confirm this?
>
> http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&thread.id=34685&page=23

Thanks for the link.

After spending half an hour reading the threads on that link I can see
that it would be pointless for me to replace the hard drive.

When I bought my T61 I was aware that it was SATA-1 speed, but I
thought the limitation was in the hard disk. Now that I know that
Lenovo deliberately crippled the IBM controller I am bummed. I just
checked and it turns out that I bought this machine in spring, 2008. I
expected to get three years of life from it. I still can, but I will be
stuck with poor performance and no way to upgrade.

I am even more irritated at Lenovo. Crippling the controller was a poor
design decision, but bad decisions happen sometimes, especially in the
fast-moving world of computers. What I find unacceptable is their
attitude toward their existing customers. They are destroying the good
name IBM earned for the name "Thinkpad" in order to gain short term
profits. If I owned Lenovo stock I'd sell it, because in a few years
the Thinkpad reputation will be gone and they'll have nothing left to
trade on.

I also think Lenovo has lost a customer.