[ltp] Re: lenovo support for linux

Anthony Moulen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 6 Aug 2009 09:29:59 -0400

> Florian Manschwetus wrote:

> The bad point is the fact that my T60 is one of the early ones, based on
> the CoreDuo not on the Core2Duo. It currently looks to me, that there
> are some elemental issues with the CoreDuo chipsets, just maybe some
> developer at ati or where ever even missed some special difference
> between theses two CPU generations, which are often mistakenly put in
> same bucket, despite the huge differences between them.
I have a CoreDou (in fact I have 2 a Z61M and a T60P), I also have 2 T61's
which are Core2Dou (no these aren't all my machines, my wife has a work
machine and a personal machine and the same for me, mine are the CoreDou my
wife got Core2Dou's).  All of these machines run Ubuntu of some flavor and I
haven't had any issues getting support for the hardware and haven't had any
issues with the CoreDou machines.  Although my Z61M is having some heat issues
suddenly and comes end of warranty this month.  I probably need to blow out
the interior.

So I don't believe there is anything specific about any of these systems that
is specifically problematic just that there has been some quality control
issues since Lenovo took over manufacture control.  I will still replace my
machine with another Thinkpad though as it is miles better than any Dell I
have used and HP just isn't even a consideration for me.