[ltp] Upgrading hard drive on T61

Thu, 6 Aug 2009 18:08:48 +0300

--TRYliJ5NKNqkz5bu

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 01:55:40PM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 21:54:07 +0200
> Jens Rutschmann <Jens.Rutschmann@gmx.info> dijo:
>=20
> > > ICH8M SATA Controller is SATA-2.
> > > It's said that Lenovo limited data transfer rate to 100MB/s on south
> > > bridge of 945 and 965 motherboards.
> >=20
> > Can anyone confirm this? I was thinking about getting one of those OCZ =
Vertex=20
> > solid state disks for my T61. While the limitation surely won't affect =
the=20
> > speedup gained due to the faster access times, it would be sad to throt=
tle the=20
> > disk down to 100 MB/s.
>=20
> I would be interested in confirmation of this also. Basically I just
> want to speed up my T61, and faster disk access seemed to be the best
> route, considering that I've already maxed out the RAM. But if Lenovo
> is throttling disk access there would be little gain from a disk
> upgrade. Assuming that they really are limiting the transfer rate, I
> can only surmise that the purpose is to hold down power consumption,
> because otherwise it makes no sense.

Latency and throughput are two different things.  Even if the throughput
is capped, I'm sure you'll notice drastic improvements in latency, if
you get a good SSD.  AFAIK most SSDs on the market are not good.

This is a must-read article about SSDs
http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3D3531

Marius Gedminas
--=20
If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong.
                -- Norm Schryer

--TRYliJ5NKNqkz5bu

--TRYliJ5NKNqkz5bu--