[ltp] Re: lenovo support for linux

Thu, 6 Aug 2009 17:10:12 -0300

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009, Vincent C Jones wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 15:27 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Since it is just you, and others with 1st gen CoreDuo T60 have reported
> > they work just fine, it makes a lot more sense to suspect you have got a
> > thinkpad with multiple hidden problems that damage other hardware slowly
> > (aka a "lemon").  Such class of problems are a PEST to fix, so you
> > either get the entire box replaced by Lenovo, or you sell the problem to
> > someone and get yourself another thinkpad.
>
> At the risk of hijacking this thread...Is it just me or do the ethics of
> dumping a known bad system on an unsuspecting purchaser just not pass the
> smell test? Sure it's the expedient thing to do, but consider the

You sure as all heck are to inform the next person in line that the system
has had problems!  Although now that I've re-read it, I can see how one
could take my advice as "dump it on an unsuspecting victim".  I thought
"sell the problem" made it clear enough that the fact that the system has
issues is to be communicated to the buyer, but apparently it isn't all that
clear...

> impact if you're on the wrong end of the transaction. I prefer to sell
> on e-bay "as is--for parts" -- I may not get quite as much, but neither
> my conscience nor my reputation suffer from it.

Well, selling a working machine "as is for parts" is usually done when it is
really broken.  In this case, you could sell it "as is, while this laptop is
in full working order at this time, be warned that this system has had a
past history of hard to track defects and required multiple planar card
exchanges.  The underlying defect that cause the problems is likely to still
exist."

  Henrique Holschuh