[ltp] Re: Upgrading hard drive on T61

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 06 Aug 2009 17:01:13 -0400

> In my case I was not interested in an SSD, although I know others in
> this thread do want them. For me they are too expensive.  I just wanted
> a faster traditional disk.

There's still a lot of performance improvement between the speed you get
from your 5400rpm hard drive to what you'd get from (say) an SSD
connected over SATA-1.  Your current harddrive probably can't even use
half the bandwidth of SATA-1 and latency improvements don't require
SATA-2 anyway.

My guess is that even with the very best drives today, you'd be hard
pressed to notice the difference between SATA-1 and SATA-2 in every
day use.  And that difference would be a *lot* smaller than the
difference between your current drive and the performance you can get
from SATA-1 with a better drive.

        Stefan