[ltp] Re: Upgrading hard drive on T61

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 06 Aug 2009 16:54:13 -0400

>> > Can anyone confirm this? I was thinking about getting one of those
>> > OCZ Vertex solid state disks for my T61.  While the limitation
>> > surely won't affect the speedup gained due to the faster access
>> > times, it would be sad to throttle the disk down to 100 MB/s.

I'd recommend you investigate closely the SSD you intend to buy.
Most of them are pretty bad (e.g. higher idle power consumption than an
HD; really bad worst-case write latency that makes it seem like the
system freezes for a little while; etc...).
It seems like drives based on Samsung controllers are pretty good
(e.g. Corsair S128), as are Intel's.

        Stefan