[ltp] Linux on T61 vs Linux on T400...

Theodore Tso linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Aug 2009 12:31:01 -0400

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 04:47:07PM +0700, Mikhail Gusarov wrote:
> T400 works fine for me (Debian testing, kernel from experimental), with
> the following caveats:
>

> * There is small bug related to serial port while docking/undocking the
>   devic.
>
> * MMC cards are not reliable in internal card reader. SD/SDHC work fine.
>
> * Beware: there is no CardBus anymore, but ExpressCard slot.

This is an option; the T400 comes with an ExpressCard/54 slot, and an
option of either a CardBus slot, a SmartCard reader, or a 7-in-1
memory card reader.  You apparently have a T400 with the 7-in1 card
reader.  I had my T400 system with the ExpressCard and SmartCard
slots, which is nice because (a) you get a spring-loaded flap instead
of a easy-to-lose plastic blank, and (b) you can get a ExpressCard
MMC/SD/SDHC card reader, which means you can have keep the PC
Card/Cardbus slot for things like an Verizon EVDO card from your
previous laptop.

One nice thing about the T400 over the T61 is that it has much better
power savings technology; using powertop, I find that with the display
off, the power usage pushes down to 6 watts, where as with the X61s
with the display off, the power usage is around 8 watts.  With the LED
backlighting, my T400 uses less power with the display on than the
X61s, even though the X61s has a smaller screen.

The bottom line is that I upgraded to the T400 from the X61s recently,
and I've been very happy with the results.

            	   	      	       	 - Ted