[ltp] Re: X60 produces fuzzy VGA output in high resolutions - will Ultrabase help?

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 09:14:31 +0200

"Shot (Piotr Szotkowski)" <shot@hot.pl> writes:

> I checked Karmic alpha 4, but the results are the same except
> HDMI-1 is called DVI1 and there are two new outputs, DP1 and DP2:
>
> …
> DVI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>
> Note that with the 1.7.99 intel driver from the PPA I get
> the below outputs – but I doubt this makes any difference:
>
> …
> HDMI-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DP-3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Wonder why you get the extra outputs?  Looks fishy. Doesn't make much
sense to have outputs without connectors (or a hardwired display).  But
it may be just me not understanding how things work...

> I have a notion that the DisplayPort adapter might be indeed at fault
> here; I switched the default display in BIOS to use DisplayPort and
> the ThinkPad still booted into the internal display (LVDS in xrandrâ€=
™s
> nomenclature).

Noticed this in your log:

(II) intel(0): EDID for output HDMI-1
(II) intel(0): EDID for output DP-1
dp_aux_ch error status 0x5d450085
(II) intel(0): DisplayPort monitor detected on DP-3

but then it continues with:

(II) intel(0): EDID for output DP-3
(II) intel(0): Output VGA connected
(II) intel(0): Output LVDS connected
(II) intel(0): Output HDMI-1 disconnected
(II) intel(0): Output DP-1 disconnected
(II) intel(0): Output DP-3 disconnected

Hmm, might of course be just log noise.  Googled up this commit, which
at least shoes how you can get the "DisplayPort monitor detected"
message and still end up with a "disconnected" state:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-commit/2009-March/020706.html

Looks like an attempt to work around hot-plug detection problems.
Probably means that the log message is an artifact of the extra DP-x
outputs and nothing else.

Sorry, looks like you need to try another adapter to get any further.
But I'm not going to guarantee that will help...

Bjørn