[ltp] Not able to modify /proc/acpi/ibm/fan

Holger Olbrich linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 1 Dec 2009 21:05:23 +0100

--nextPart12604911.jDm2yzQ29z

by default fan_control is "auto" and cannot be changed.
the module thinkpad_acpi has to be loaded with the parameter fan_control=3D1

/etc/modprobe.d/ibm-acpi:
(...)
options thinkpad_acpi fan_control=3D1
(...)

greetings
holger

am Dienstag 01 Dezember 2009 schrieb cupaxe:
> I would like to do the following two things:
>
> - Keen my fan always running at the maximum speed.
> - Keep my CPU running at the maximum speed.
>
> Since I had problems with my LCD, I have connected my thinkpad to a
> external display and am using it as a desktop. So fan noise, battery
> conservation, etc are a non-issue.
>
> I read in the thinkwiki documentation that
>
> echo level 7 > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
>
> would make the fan rotate faster. The current output is:
>
> # cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
> status:		enabled
> speed:		2606
> level:		auto
>
> But when I try to write to  /proc/acpi/ibm/fan, I get,
>
> bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument
>
> I tried my best searching for a way to modify /proc/acpi/ibm/fan but
> wasn't able to get anywhere. So if this post has already been
> answered, my sincerely apologies.
>
> Thanks,
> Krishna

=2D-=20

Jede Nation spottet =FCber die andern, und alle haben recht.
Arthur Schopenhauer