[ltp] Not able to modify /proc/acpi/ibm/fan

Wed, 2 Dec 2009 07:53:15 +0100

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 14:29:24 -0500, cupaxe wrote:
> I would like to do the following two things:
>
> - Keen my fan always running at the maximum speed.
> - Keep my CPU running at the maximum speed.

Do you really want this? These days, even many desktop computers use
the ondemand governor from cpufreq to only run at full speed if there
is any CPU load.  There was even a discussion about making it the
default for _all_ x86 machines for Debian.  Regarding your ThinkPad, I
would think that running it always at full CPU speed and with full fan
speed isn't something which is a considered long term usage, and it
might break at some point because the fan was overstrained and the
ThinkPad run too hot for a long time.

Regards,
Tino