[ltp] Bad fan behaviour in X61s caused by GPU temperatur sensor

Sun, 6 Dec 2009 18:18:13 +0100

On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 15:46:00 +0100, Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) wrote:

[...]

> Did you manage to reduce the wireless temperature? I tried lowering the
> signal strength on the X60, but this doesn’t seem to affect how hot the
> right palmrest gets. :(

For X61 users, powermanagement for wireless LAN is a source of fun and
joy.  The maintainers decided to not support it at all in kernel
2.6.31.  I was able to remove this.  However, In 2.6.32, they
refactored all the PM code to not use a non-standard sysfs file
(power_level) anymore, but iwconfig settings.  However, it still can't
be enabled on IWL 4965 hardware, so I had to look into the driver
source again so make it work.

Regards,
Tino