[ltp] T61 Suspends, won't restore

Pedro Ribeiro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 6 Dec 2009 21:16:38 +0000

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 9:04 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:
> I have had my T61 for about a year and a half, always running Ubuntu x86_64. In
> all that time it will suspend when I close the lid, but when I open the lid it
> is stuck in suspend mode. The hard drive light runs a bit when I open the lid,
> but the keyboard and mouse are dead.
>
> Recently I installed a new hard disk and then installed Fedora 11. Unhappily, I
> get the same results.
>
> I have lived with this limiation long enough. I know this has been discussed
> here in the past, but I can't find the threads and solutions (if any). Can some
> kind soul point me in the right direction?
> --

Hi Jason,

I had the same problem and traced it back to pm-utils.

pm-utils is the package used in most distributions to do power
management on behalf of the (now dead) hal and desktops like GNOME and
KDE.
Its problem is that it is full of quirks for old hardware, and on
newer computers it totally breaks them.

For suspending, I use a custom script which does everything for me.
All you have to some is assign some keybinding for it and press it
whenever you want to suspend. There is also a way to specify a custom
script to run for hal power events, but I believe newer distributions
don't rely on hal anymore - so you would have to look at how its done
with Devicekit-power (which is the framework for which hal was
deprecated).

Anyway, try this script and see if your computer suspends and resumes OK.

I have a T400 which I believe has similar hardware to the T61. Having
said that, I do not guarantee it to work. Remember you have to run it
as root. Save the contents between ---------------- as
suspend-script.sh and make it executable (chmod +x suspend-script.sh)

Pedro

#sleep for some time to allow xscreensaver to lock (don't lock it here
- this runs as root and xscreensaver doesn't accept the command)
sleep 3.5

#ejects the ultrabay
/usr/local/sbin/ultrabay_eject

#turns off wake on lan
ethtool -s eth0 wol d

#if you need to unload any modules, do it here

#syncs to disk
sync

#sleeps
echo -n mem > /sys/power/state

#if you need to reload any modules or run a script after resuming, do it here