[ltp] discharge prediction on new battery chronically wrong. Whose to blame?

Mark Stosberg linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 6 Dec 2009 20:06:39 -0500

I recently purchased a replacement battery for my X41 tablet

( I bought it here: http://www.cutratebatteries.com/IBM-ThinkPad-X41-Tablet-Batteries/IB43M9
  The battery identifies itself as being made by "SANYO" )

I am using the battery with Ubuntu Karmic Koala, and since I bought it
(about 2 weeks), the system has never correctly estimated the discharge
time. The result has been that 4 times that the power has just suddenly
cut out while I was running on battery (of course anything I was working
on at the time was lost).

I'm considering returning the battery, but is this definitely the
battery's fault, or is the OS responsible for failing to correctly
detect the remaining battery capacity?

Thanks!

    Mark

--