[ltp] lenovo-sl-laptop on Fedora 12

Armel KERMORVANT linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 7 Dec 2009 14:58:42 +0100 (CET)

> Message du 07/12/09 14:14
> De : "Alexandre Rostovtsev"=20
> A : linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
> Copie =C3=A0 :=20
> Objet : Re: [ltp] lenovo-sl-laptop on Fedora 12
>=20
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 3:00 AM, Armel KERMORVANT
>  wrote:
> > Good Morning,
> >
> > I have a Lenovo SL300 and I decide to install Fedora 12.
> > I check before the installation if all components work fine, potentialy=
 yes except the video brighness and volume keys on KDE.
> > Do you have an idea on wich repository where I found the lenovo-sl-lapt=
op.rpm for fedora ?
> > I check and I didn't fine it.
> >
> > The second solution, I compile by my self the driver but on my first te=
st, please find below my commands :

> > 1- Extract the file (file come from : http://github.com/tetromino/lenov=
o-sl-laptop) in my personal directory
> > 2- make (some new files are created)
> > 3- cp lenovo-sl-laptop.ko /lib/modules/2.6.31-xxxxxx.fc12.i686.PAE/kern=
el/drivers/acpi/ (Some drivers are present : sbshc.ko / sbs.ko / video.ko)
> > 4- depmod -ae
> > 5- create a lenovo-sl-laptop.conf into /etc/modprobe.d
> > this is the contents :
> > blacklist video
> > options lenovo-sl-laptop control_backlight=3D1
> >
> > 6- I reboot my system and the acpi driver is not loaded, if I type the =
same command into the directory I compile the driver I have no issue the dr=
iver is loaded and the volume keys work fine.

> > If I type insmod lenovo-sl-alptop, I have an error meesage the system d=
id find the file or the directory.

> > Could you help me on this issue ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Armel
> >

> > --
>=20
> Hello Armel
>=20
> Unfortunately, I have zero free time for the next several days, but
> may be able to help you later. Two quick pieces of advice:
> * please read http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel - the
> "Out Of Tree Modules" section.
> * lenovo-sl-laptop.ko should go into
> /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/
>=20
> -Alex Rostovtsev

Hello Alex,

Thanks for your mail.
I found a workaround about the lenovo-sl-laptop.ko.

I create a file S98lenovo-sl-laptop (/etc/rc5.d)with this content :

#/sbin/bash
/sbin/insmod /etc/rc5.d/lenovo-sl-laptop.ko co control_backlight=3D1

And I copy the .ko file in the same directory (/etc/rc5.d)

When I reboot the system load the driver and the volume and backlight keys =
work.
This solution is not clean but it works.

If I look at the modules.dep the levono-sl-laptop is present at end of the =
file.

For the moment the system works and when I have more time (This week end) I=
 talking with a Fedora pakager in Paris.

Have a nice day.

Armel