[ltp] OT: proper auto-responders

Mario Butter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 8 Dec 2009 16:26:53 -0600

There is an RFC with guidelines for auto-responders. rfc3834

"An automatic responder MUST NOT blindly send a response for every
message received."

and

"Personal and Group responses that are intended to notify the sender
of a message of the recipient's inability to read or reply to the
message (e.g., 'away from my mail' or 'too busy' notifications) SHOULD
NOT issue the same response to the same sender more than once within a
period of several days, even though that sender may have sent multiple
messages.  A 7-day period is RECOMMENDED as a default."

--
Mario

http://mario.silent-tower.org/