[ltp] OT: proper auto-responders

Tue, 8 Dec 2009 20:15:02 -0500

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 11:54:10AM +1100, Helen Borrie wrote:

> What is so DAFT about J B Mills III that he cannot read the headers on any list mail item and auto-unsubscribe himself.
>
> To make it even simpler for the simple-minded, I herewith copy the
> link from a header and invite J B Mills III to use it.  All he has
> to do is LEFT-CLICK on it (instructions will be provided if J B
> Mills III does not understand that).  His email program *should*
> open a new email with everything in it that is required: he should
> not add or change anything in the header or the body, merely
> LEFT-CLICK on the SEND MAIL button and it's done, no human
> intervention required.

Note that Mr. Mills has already unsubscribed himself.  I tracked him
down earlier today through IBM's internal employee directory and gave
him a call just in case he didn't realize the issues being caused by
his out-of-office autoresponder.  Turns out other folks had also
tracked him down and he was already aware of the problem.

For myself, I generally don't subscribe myself to mailing lists on my
Notes address, just because I find mutt to be far more efficient for
reading (and deleting) e-mails from higher volume mailing lists than
Notes.

						- Ted