[ltp] Reliability

Micha linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:07:08 +0200

On 12/12/2009 07:08, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> I am looking at replacing my T41, it is starting to show wear and occassional
> disk errors on backup.  The June 2009 Consumer Reports placed Lenovo near the
> top for reliability.  The December 2009 issue puts them at the bottom.  Has
> Lenovo's reliability slipped that badly?

I don't know about their reliability slipping. I do know that people I know tend
to be less happy with the newer t400/t500 than with the t51.

 From experience of our UNI support team the non thinkpad lenovos are crap.
Their advice our faculty not to touch them as they die left and right. And for
that note, the thinkpad line is the t and x versions. Lenovo put out newer ones
(I think it was the s IIRC) that are actually non-thinkpad hardware. Could have
an effect on the survey results.

Could be related.
> It occurs to me that IBM essentially had no consumer grade laptops.  Are the
> business grade laptops as reliable as even, but the newly introduced consumer
> grade laptops dragging the average down?

BTW, there are no IBM laptops any more. They shut down their laptop line
completely. It's all lenovo now and they don't even carry the IBM logo any more.