[ltp] Just how slow is the DockII PCI bus?

Connor Behan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:40:38 -0500

Hi, for about a year now I've been using the Thinkpad Dock II with a
VisionTek X1550 256MB PCI video card as recommended by ThinkWiki. I
looked it up on http://free3d.org/ and saw that someone got 2686fps in
glxgears with it. For as long as I've owned this card I've been using
the modesetting driver with it and have managed to get my framerate up
to 280fps. This is certainly not as good as the quoted numbers that made
me buy the card and it is not even as good as the 8MB Rage Mobility M3
built into my a22m which gets 600fps.

This whole time I've been convinced that it was just the bleeding edge
modesetting radeon driver to blame. But after seeing no improvement, I'm
starting to think it's the bus. The driver came with a method for
measuring IO speed (radeon.benchmark=1 on the commandline which is
rather unstable). It said blit and dma speeds were 35M/s. Am I correct
in thinking this is slower than PCI should be? The theoretical bandwidth
of PCI is 133M/s but my GPU is behind a proprietary bridge on the card
and the dock is behind a proprietary bridge to the thinkpad.

If anyone has a PCI video card and has a way to measure the bus speed
could you please post it so I can test the theory? Also if you use the
Thinkpad Dock II with a PCI video card can you please post your glxgears
framerate? I know asking for data like this is spam but
http://free3d.org/ is not helpful for this. There are only two cards on
it that I know to be PCI and they both say 220fps. Thanks.