[ltp] new thinkpad for me

Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:07:36 +0100

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 19:04:19 +0100, jnjb wrote:
> hello all
>
> i have now replace my x24 by an good x32, it work very well but i want
> try to reduce boot time a little like netbooks but not so fast boot, if
> someone have ideas for do it. I have try to use fastinit but it dont
> work whith me.
>
> for information i run on debian lenny whith gnome desktop

Just use suspend to RAM or to disk instead of shutdown/boot.

If you really need to boot, you might try runit.  It is an alternate
init system, which provides a lot of features that sysVinit is lacking
(reliable service control, user permissions for starting/stopping
services, simple control what services are started at boot without the
need to fiddle around with multiple symlinks, service supervision), and
as a side effect you get quick boots because all services are started
in parallel and the start scripts are much smaller than the often
obfuscated sysVinit initscripts.  It requires some good Linux knowledge
to migrate a system to runit, though.

Regards,
Tino