[ltp] Fresh Lenny install and suspend to ram problems

Marco Vittorini Orgeas linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 9 Feb 2009 22:12:41 +0100

Hello,
I've just installed Lenny on my thinkpad T61 (model 6460).I am posting here because I've googled around and tried some things reported from people with similar issues,but I am starting to be stuck in a deadlock where I feel to just don't get the point of the situation.
On my system all seems to work as expected (even suspend to disk), but I am facing problems with the suspend to ram feature.
The problem is:
if I suspend to ram the system(from the gnome power button) I have the system regularly suspended to ram (the t61 half-moon blinks showing that is going to sleep).
It sleeps for two seconds and then it immediately resumes back, but it just fail to resume - I can hear the HD spin up and the fan starts to work but the half-moon doesn't blink and the screen remains black.
At this point the keyboard doesn't seem to respond to any input or combination of key pressed, and all I can do is a an hard rebooting by keep pressed the power button.

Now reading around (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_ACPI_suspend-to-ram) I was able to isolate the first half of the problem:
if I do :
modprobe -r ehci_hcd
and then I try to suspend, the system effectively suspend and sleeps well without any more resumes.I have tried to understand where lenny looks for modules to be rmmoded before actually suspend but I was not successfull, or better: around there is such confusion on the topic that I can't seem to understand which files or script gnome uses to make the system sleeps (acpi,hibernate.conf etc... googling get you a "babele" of different informations)...so if someone could be so kind to clear the situation and point me in the right direction would be very appreciated.

After that still remains the second half of the problem: even if the system is suspended to ram, if I try to resume it back, I get again the over-mentioned problem: I can hear the HD spin up and the fan starts to work but the half-moon doesn't blink and the screen remains black.At this point the keyboard doesn't seem to respond.

Some suggestions here would be really appreciated too.
I should also add here that I have on the same thinkpad a Gutsy installation with suspend2ram working (but there I am using the nvidia binary drivers) while on lenny I guess I am using the X11 nv driver (even though I can't be able to check this because lsmod |grep nv does return only "nvram") - I have a nvidia quadro 140m on my thinkpad.

Probably the resume problem is related to this difference of drivers.

thank you