[ltp] How do you like your W500 or W700?

Yves-Alexis Perez linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 Feb 2009 07:30:03 +0100

--=-OMevrfiSJoKGDOHq766G

On lun, 2009-02-09 at 21:59 -0800, Bill Wohler wrote:
>=20
> My desktop at work has an nVidia card. I was able to install and
> configure the Debian nVidia packages easily, and the accelerated
> graphics work fine! And it works with two monitors. And I can use a
> projector. None of this works on my T40p.

Avoid nvidia at all cost.

> I therefore want to avoid the ATI trap on my next ThinkPad.

Avoid fglrx driver (binary driver). radeon/radeonhd work fine

If you want the best support, use intel graphics. It works pretty fine
and is even powerful enough for ~some~ 3D stuff. If you badly need 3D
stuff, then: radeon/radeonhd > nvidia > fglrx

nouveau is not really usable at the moment and nvidia driver is known to
do bad stuff with some compositing (xfwm compositer for example) and you
can't debug anything, as always with crappy binary stuff.

Cheers,
--=20
Yves-Alexis

--=-OMevrfiSJoKGDOHq766G