[ltp] How do you like your W500 or W700?

Karsten König linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:07:50 +0100

Heyhey,

> > I therefore want to avoid the ATI trap on my next ThinkPad.
>
> Avoid fglrx driver (binary driver). radeon/radeonhd work fine

This is not the wisest suggestion for a laptop, as the current opensource
implementations have nearly no powersaving features, thus eating a whoping
amount of power, not to mention the produced heat....
(But they sure come along pretty well, my T400 has one so I can read ATI and
Intel driver news with satisfaction =))

> If you want the best support, use intel graphics. It works pretty fine
> and is even powerful enough for ~some~ 3D stuff. If you badly need 3D
> stuff, then: radeon/radeonhd > nvidia > fglrx

Current intel driver seems to have regressions, but still the point remains
valid, an Intelcard is the best you can do for linux right now and in the near
future.

@Bill
Might I ask why the W500 and not the T500?
It is a pretty good configuration and I heard they use better keyboards now,
my T400 works great with the better keyboard.
You have the advantage of intel integrated and ATI discrete for whatever heavy
lifting there is.

Karsten